The mandate is shown below (more specific remits are gained at meetings of the whole Forum which are held from time to time):
- To provide a common voice between industry, relevant government departments and the NHS involved in Part IX of the Drug Tariff (hereinafter referred to as DT) on issues that are industry wide.
- To monitor and feedback the performance of the DT with regard to the application process and to work with the sponsoring body, in this case the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA), to ensure that this process is open and transparent.
- To engage with the DT to ensure the price increase process is used by industry
- Negotiate with the DT in agreeing appropriate levels and mechanisms for price rises based on factor X, as agreed with NHSBS
- To provide industry with information concerning the DT that may affect their business.
- To negotiate with the DT on specific issues raised by the Drug Tariff Forum
With regard to liaison with government, the Committee meets regularly with representatives from the Department of Health and the NHS Business Services Authority to discuss issues affecting the operation of the Drug Tariff, and to consult on and agree proposed changes to the guidance for manufacturers and suppliers which is issued by the NHS BSA Prescription Service.