Step 5: Reach an agreement or pursue other options
After you have formally submitted your written complaint to us, we will launch our investigation – Learn more about our process for handling complaints.
In particular, we will:
• Send you a copy of our Code of Practice
• Request to see all of your documentation
• Ask the company to report within seven working days, giving as much evidence as possible
• Look for evidence of any breaches of our Code of Practice
Importantly, you will not be charged at any stage of the process – this is free for all consumers.
Once we have obtained all the facts, we will attempt to settle the dispute by advising an agreement between you and the company within 90 days.
If you are not satisfied with our proposed agreement, you have two options available to take the complaint further:
• We can refer the case to an Independent Arbitrator
• You can take up your own independent court action
Where referral to the Independent Arbitrator is chosen, we will pass all the evidence gathered, including copies of all correspondence between the parties and BHTA, to the Independent Arbitrator within five working days.
At this point, both you and the company may make direct representation of further evidence to the Arbitrator.
Important to note: You do not have to accept the decision of the Independent Arbitrator, and still have the route of court proceedings available. However, if the Independent Arbitrator finds against the company, the decision is binding on them.